Friday, September 08, 2006

My destiny

In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will...Ephesians 1:11


What on earth am I here for?

Long before Rick Warren came out with the book that "disturbed" so many lives, that question had been ringing in my mind. By nature, people are so selfish. Egocentric. We always think about three persons important to us -- I, me and myself.

But how ironic that the more we think about ourselves, the more we are not contented. So many rich and successful people lived their lives miserably because they didn't care about others!

God has predestined each one of us according to His plans. Even before we were born, He already know exactly what will happen to us. All the blunders included. Yet, He gives us the liberty to do what we want in our lives. But when we cry out to Him, He is also merciful to take us out of the quagmire we ourselves have chosen to fall into.

About two years before I "moved on" from my previous job, that question on the meaning of life so bothered me. To be a reporter of the biggest newspaper in the country had always been my dream. Yet, at the height of my journalism career, here I was feeling so bad about how I felt. Confusing?

Let me explain. Influence can be intoxicating. This I realized when my stories started to affect the lives of others. How easy indeed it is to feel proud when you are in a position to influence others. Not that I was that influential. I was not even close to the feat of the journalists I admired.

Yet, I felt that pride had crept in my heart. God was no longer my priority. More so my family. It struck me how easy it was for me to leave my sick baby in the hospital because I had to cover a story that would surely put my name in the front page. If I couldn't even care for the children who came out of my womb, how much more for a God who I couldn't see? (to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment