Thursday, September 21, 2006

Losing a baby


For HORIZON
Originally uploaded by gwilmore.

I lost a baby. Not a physical one though, thank God! But a project I've nurtured since last year.

We conceived this "baby" last year amidst the growing political unrest that wrought a great divide to this nation. Growing up in a political family, I've always have a heart for the betterment of our beloved Philippines. I never stopped believing in the greatness of the Filipinos. Given opportunities, like many, I try to inject social relevance in whatever I do, even in my "commercial" endeavors.

So when we were given the opportunity to re-launch a product last year, we pitched for a never-been-done kind -- one that would bring communities together bayanihan style. Not saying, of course, that we are God's gift to humanity. It is more about making Filipinos appreciate the good values we have. (I say in the present tense because it is an on-going thing.)

Thank God for all the favors, He opened doors for us to make the project so successful in many ways.

But I understand the realities the client has to face -- business has not been so good this part of the planet. Some sacfices have to be made.

I was part of the big team that conceptualized the whole thing -- from the name to the participants to how the campaign would be done. Only for that, I felt sad. It's like being deprived of nurturing one's baby into maturity.

But in a way, I'm also relieved. Waiting can sometimes be hard. (Although at times, I welcome it.) Because of this "baby," I couldn't commit to doing other long-term things in anticipation of the responsibilities that come along with it. It's like when you're infanticipating. You can't conceive another baby when you are already pregnant.

Having finally been told that I will no longer be part of the project ended whatever expectations I had. I harbor no ill-feelings at all for the client. They are so nice. And I will surely miss them.

Thank God, I've learned by heart that truly all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose. I don't look at projects just for the rewards. Naturally, if it is for a commercial purpose, I have to make a living. But money is not the ultimate. Rather, I look more on the purpose why God has placed me in it. I try to do the best I can, more for the testimony rather than the gratification. (I still haven't perfected it, but I'm trying my very best.)

While doing the project last year, I had the opportunity to pray for some mayors I met and encourage them in their God-given positions. Some are my good friends now.

I praise God that while doing the project, I got encouraged myself. I've seen how the bayanihan spirit is still much alive in Filipinos. Communities came together if only to beat others in the "game." Even political foes set aside their differences for the sake of making their town or city the best.

There is still so much hope for this nation. Despite all the bickerings, so many public servants still live up to their calling -- to serve their constituents, and not lord over them.

But there is always an end to everything. I know my partners fought tooth and nail for me, so to speak. But at the end of the day, it's always the client who decides.

I'm sure God has greater plans for me. He closes doors. Then He opens the ceiling. Now that the waiting game's over for the old "baby", another waiting has began. I'm excited as I anticipate for the the new "baby" God has in store for me.

In the meantime, life goes on...

No comments:

Post a Comment