Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Learning from a child



Originally uploaded by nascity.

Faith is believing what we do not see, and the reward for this kind of faith is to see what we believe. Saint Augustine

My husband and I were crossing a curved street with our 7-year-old daughter when suddenly a tricycle came rushing so fast in our direction. I signalled to the driver to slow down but he didn't seem to care a bit. I can feel blood rising in me as fast as the gush of wind of the passing tricycle. Grrrrrrr!

As we safely reached the other side, my husband and I stopped to gather back our senses. I can't believe how some drivers can be so rude! And to think he saw we had a little girl with us. Sensing our annoyance, my daughter looked at me. "Why, mom?" she asked, oblivious to what just happened.

She was so secured as her dad and I held each of her tiny hand that she didn't feel threatened at all. Oh, if we can only be like little children! Nothing at all will move us, not even the gushing storms in our lives.

After I resigned from my full-time job a few years ago, I learned so many lessons in life as I spend more time with our children. It moves me so much how they love and trust us, their parents, no matter what. Their faith and humility amazes me. Indeed, I came to understand deeper what the Lord Jesus meant when He said we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven unless we change and become like little children.1

I have learned not to ask the Lord to increase my faith. I ask Him instead to make me feel more and more of HIS presence in my life. To draw me closer and closer to Him that I may be like a little child always dependent on her parents. I pray to the Lord that He always hold me in His Hands and never let me go. Only then, when I am completely dependent on Him will I have real faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment