Sunday, May 27, 2007

Encouragement from Sen. Tessie Aquino-Oreta


How do you encourage someone facing a loss? It's one of the hardest things for me. I hated so much the “condolences” of well-meaning people when we lost our mother to a freak medical accident 20 years ago. I wished they just kept silent than giving me the feeling like rubbing-it-in kind of way of telling me “you're mother is dead!” I would rather be in a corner, crying until I couldn't cry anymore. Like the loss of my mother, I would take any loss in life the same way. For a while I'd grieve. Then I'd put myself back together again and move on.

Losing an electoral bid for me is like losing a dearly beloved. When my brother lost his first bid in politics last week, we felt so bad and grieved with him. It's always better to cry than keep all those emotions inside. Now, we see the lessons and hope to learn from it the next time around.

But sometimes, it's easier said than done. I didn't know how to comfort Sen. Tessie when the trend in the senatorial canvassing started to show. So I just prayed hard for her, that God would embrace her and she would only feel His love. Then I got a call last Saturday. It was Sen. Tessie. Honestly, I didn't know what to say. Surprisingly, she was so upbeat. She told me she wanted to thank everyone who helped her. Maybe, it wasn't God's will yet, she said. She said God prepared her heart for whatever results and despite the loss in her senatorial bid, she felt nothing really was lost because God had a purpose for her running. Wow! What a great woman of God she is. I could only say thank you to her. I thought she needed the encouragement. But she was actually the one who encouraged me.

Yesterday, I received an email from her. With her permission, I'm posting Sen. Tessie's email. For me, this is not just about Sen. Tessie. This is about how we should face circumstances in life.

==============

My dear Andrea,

Greetings in the Precious Name of our Lord Jesus Christ!

First of all, I want to express my deep gratitude and appreciation for all the love and the untiring support you have given me in my desire to return to politics. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much.

The past three months had not been very easy for me. Yet, through those difficulties, I've experienced grace after grace after grace. I know I would not have experienced most of it if not for the full support you gave me. Words are not enough to express my gratefulness first to the Lord, and next to my family and specially to you.

I've always said that I'd work very hard from Day 1 to Day 89 to gain victory on Day 90. As I've said before, my desire to return to politics is not anymore about me. Rather, it is all about Him, our Master, whom I want to serve. I thought that if I was elected, I could serve Him more and influence others in the halls of power to acknowledge Him as their Lord and Master.

Now that the national election is over, the Lord has spoken. Initially, I felt sad. But then maybe, it is not yet His will for me to return to the Senate. Maybe, my desire is not yet part of His plans for me at the moment. Yet I know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose. I don't know what His purpose for me is at this time, but I do know for sure, His plans are perfect.

I have finished the electoral race, stood firm in faith and tried my very best that in everything I did in the campaign, I pleased Him first.

I had kept my campaign focused on the politics of unity and the politics of hope. I refused to involve myself in gutter politics and the politics of hate and ignored to answer malicious attacks on my person. I chose to forgive instead of resorting to revenge, simply because I know God would fight for me. And He did as He always does.

When I campaigned, I took every opportunity to share the goodness of the Lord in my life. In so doing, I wanted others to know the God whom I serve.

True enough, because of the peace and calm that He granted me, not a few of my colleagues and the media team covering the Team Unity became curious where I got the strength. It then became an opportunity for me to share His Word, what He did in my life and what He is doing still. Indeed, despite the obstacles and trials I faced, the load always seemed lighter because Someone up there was making sure that the burden would be light.

On Day 90, I've said that the Lord's Will would prevail. His plans are good and pleasing for sure. And so, nothing is lost and there is no defeat!

God is still refining me. Like gold that has to go through the fire, so must I as He prepares me for a greater task ahead.

Again, thank you so much for everything – the prayers, the love the trust and the support. Indeed, I am so blessed that God has led me to you who made me feel that I found a God sent Friend.

God bless you more as you bless others!



Most Sincerely,

Tessie

No comments:

Post a Comment